The Unified Shilla era

  • Hamyang-gun was called Sokham-gun or Hamsung during the Unified Shilla era. In 757AD in the 16thyear of King Gyeongduk, the name was changed to Cheonryung-gun.
  • Anneui : It used to be Mari-hyeon, but under King Gyeongduk it was renamed as Ian-hyeon, being placed under Cheonryung-gun.
  • Anneui : Under the reign of King Gyeongduk, it was called Yeosun and placed under Geochang-gun.

In Goryeo Dynasty

  • In 983AD, in the 2ndyear of King Sungjong, or the 6th King of Goryeo, the region was promoted to ‘heojudodanryeonsa’(許州都團鍊使).
  • In 1010 (King Hyeonjong, 1styear), the region was demoted to 'gun', as Hamyang-gun.
  • In 1172 (King Myeongjong, 2nd year), the 'gun' was demoted to a 'hyeon' and an government position 'gammu' was installed there.
  • Ryeo, Oh, and Park were the 3 native family names in Hamyang.
  • Anneui : in 1019 (King Hyeongjong, 9thyear) it was put under Hapju (present Hapcheon)
  • Anneui : in 1161 (King Euijong, 15th year) a rumor spread that the residents put a curse on the government officials, resulting in the demotion of Anneui as Bugok.
  • Anneui : under King Gongyang, it was put under Gameum (present Wiecheon-myeong, Geochang-gun) and gammu was installed here.

In Jeseon Dynasty

  • In 1395 (King Taejo, 4thyear), ‘hyeon’ was promoted back to‘gun’.
  • In 1629 (King Injo, 7thyear), the status was put back to ‘hyeon’.
  • In 1729 (King Youngjo, 5thyear), it was promoted as Hamyang-bu.
  • In 1788 (King Jeongjo, 12thyear), it was put back to Hamyang-gun.
  • Anneui : under King Taejon, the government office was relocated in Ian, and in Anneui, ‘hyeongam’ was installed instead. Anneui was renamed ‘Anneum’.
  • Anneui : there was an uprising in Geochang-hyeon, resulting in the demotion of Geochang to a sub-hyeon of Anneum-hyeon.
  • Anneui : in the 1styear of King Hyeon-jong, Geochang-hyeon was separated from Anneum.
  • Anneui : in 1728 (King Youngjo, 4th year) Jeong Hee Ryang rose a rebellion against the government, resulting in the separation of Anneum into Hamyang and Geochang.
  • Anneui : in 1736 (King Youngjo, 12th year), back to ‘hyeon’.
  • Anneui : in 1767 (King Youngjo, 43rd year), Anneum was changed to Anneui and became Anneui-hyeon.
  • Anneui : in 1895 (King Gojong, 22ndyear), it was promoted to 'gun', ‘Anneui-gun’.

After Joseon Dynasty

  • On March 1, 1914, according to the reorganization of administrative district Anneui-gun was abolished, resulting in 7 myeons (Hyeonnae, Hwanggok, Chojeom, Daedae, Jidae, Seosang, Seoha) being put under Hamyang-gun and 5 myeons (Dongri, Namri, Gohyeon, Buksang, Bukha) under Geochang-gun.
  • In 1933, Daeji-myeon was integrated into Anneui-myeon and thus the total number of myeon in Hamyang decreased from 13 to 12.

In Modern Era

  • Sokbok-myeon was integrated to Hamyang-myeon by legislation No. 450 and thus prmoted to ‘eup’, called Hamyang-eup. (Hamyang-gun was now comprised of 1 eup and 10 myeons)
  • On July 1, 1973, by a Presidential decree, Chunjeon-ri and Jinmok-ri, which had been belonged to Anneui-myeon, were put under Namsang-myeon.
  • On February 19, 1976, Umcheon local office was installed by the ordinance of Hamyang-gun.
  • On September 1, 1982, Hadong 3-gus were divided into 3 individual gu, named 3, 4, and 5-gu respectively.
  • On September 20, 1988, by the ordinance of Hamyang-gun, Hamyang-eup Sang-dong 1, 2, and 3 gus were renamed Unrim 1, 2, and 3 –ri, and Hadong 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 gu were renamed Yongpyeong 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5--ri respectively.
  • On April 28, 1993, by the ordinance of Hamyang, Gyeosanri Hakdang was divided into 4 districts as Hakdang 1, 2, 3, and 4. Presently Hamyang has jurisdiction over total 1 eup and 10 myeons.
  • On September 21, 1998, by the ordinance of Hamyang, Uncheon local office was closed.

Modern Times

  • November 29, 2005. Bonggang in Gyosan-ri, Hamyang-eup divided into Bonggang 1-ri, Bonggang 2-ri, Bonggang 3-ri and Bonggang 4-ri in accordance with an ordinance of Hamyang-gun
  • February 11, 2011. Daepyeong in Gyeongbaek-ri, Baekjeon-myeon divided into Sangdaepyeong and Hadaepyeong in accordance with an ordinance of Hamyang-gun
  • October 26, 2012. Bonggang 3 in Gyosan-ri, Hamyang-eup divided into Bonggang 3-ri and Bonggang 5-ri and, Jeongchwi in Bosan-ri, Jigok-myeon divided into Jeongchwi and Haengbok in accordance with an ordinance of Hamyang-gun.