Hamyang-gun was called Sokham-gun or Hamsung during the Unified Shilla era. In 757AD in the 16thyear of King Gyeongduk, the name was changed to Cheonryung-gun.
Anneui : It used to be Mari-hyeon, but under King Gyeongduk it was renamed as Ian-hyeon, being placed under Cheonryung-gun.
Anneui : Under the reign of King Gyeongduk, it was called Yeosun and placed under Geochang-gun.
In Goryeo Dynasty
In 983AD, in the 2ndyear of King Sungjong, or the 6th King of Goryeo, the region was promoted to ‘heojudodanryeonsa’(許州都團鍊使).
In 1010 (King Hyeonjong, 1styear), the region was demoted to 'gun', as Hamyang-gun.
In 1172 (King Myeongjong, 2nd year), the 'gun' was demoted to a 'hyeon' and an government position 'gammu' was installed there.
Ryeo, Oh, and Park were the 3 native family names in Hamyang.
Anneui : in 1019 (King Hyeongjong, 9thyear) it was put under Hapju (present Hapcheon)
Anneui : in 1161 (King Euijong, 15th year) a rumor spread that the residents put a curse on the government officials, resulting in the demotion of Anneui as Bugok.
Anneui : under King Gongyang, it was put under Gameum (present Wiecheon-myeong, Geochang-gun) and gammu was installed here.
In Jeseon Dynasty
In 1395 (King Taejo, 4thyear), ‘hyeon’ was promoted back to‘gun’.
In 1629 (King Injo, 7thyear), the status was put back to ‘hyeon’.
In 1729 (King Youngjo, 5thyear), it was promoted as Hamyang-bu.
In 1788 (King Jeongjo, 12thyear), it was put back to Hamyang-gun.
Anneui : under King Taejon, the government office was relocated in Ian, and in Anneui, ‘hyeongam’ was installed instead. Anneui was renamed ‘Anneum’.
Anneui : there was an uprising in Geochang-hyeon, resulting in the demotion of Geochang to a sub-hyeon of Anneum-hyeon.
Anneui : in the 1styear of King Hyeon-jong, Geochang-hyeon was separated from Anneum.
Anneui : in 1728 (King Youngjo, 4th year) Jeong Hee Ryang rose a rebellion against the government, resulting in the separation of Anneum into Hamyang and Geochang.
Anneui : in 1736 (King Youngjo, 12th year), back to ‘hyeon’.
Anneui : in 1767 (King Youngjo, 43rd year), Anneum was changed to Anneui and became Anneui-hyeon.
Anneui : in 1895 (King Gojong, 22ndyear), it was promoted to 'gun', ‘Anneui-gun’.
After Joseon Dynasty
On March 1, 1914, according to the reorganization of administrative district Anneui-gun was abolished, resulting in 7 myeons (Hyeonnae, Hwanggok, Chojeom, Daedae, Jidae, Seosang, Seoha) being put under Hamyang-gun and 5 myeons (Dongri, Namri, Gohyeon, Buksang, Bukha) under Geochang-gun.
In 1933, Daeji-myeon was integrated into Anneui-myeon and thus the total number of myeon in Hamyang decreased from 13 to 12.
In Modern Era
Sokbok-myeon was integrated to Hamyang-myeon by legislation No. 450 and thus prmoted to ‘eup’, called Hamyang-eup. (Hamyang-gun was now comprised of 1 eup and 10 myeons)
On July 1, 1973, by a Presidential decree, Chunjeon-ri and Jinmok-ri, which had been belonged to Anneui-myeon, were put under Namsang-myeon.
On February 19, 1976, Umcheon local office was installed by the ordinance of Hamyang-gun.
On September 1, 1982, Hadong 3-gus were divided into 3 individual gu, named 3, 4, and 5-gu respectively.
On September 20, 1988, by the ordinance of Hamyang-gun, Hamyang-eup Sang-dong 1, 2, and 3 gus were renamed Unrim 1, 2, and 3 –ri, and Hadong 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 gu were renamed Yongpyeong 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5--ri respectively.
On April 28, 1993, by the ordinance of Hamyang, Gyeosanri Hakdang was divided into 4 districts as Hakdang 1, 2, 3, and 4. Presently Hamyang has jurisdiction over total 1 eup and 10 myeons.
On September 21, 1998, by the ordinance of Hamyang, Uncheon local office was closed.